“We must walk consciously only part way toward our goal, and then leap in the dark to our success.” – Henry David Thoreau
A few months ago, I shared a BHAG for 2014 based on my experiences as SeaWheeze Ambassador for 2013.
As I discovered on the streets of Vancouver this past August, SeaWheeze is about people uniting over 13.1 miles to empower and push each other to tackle big goals together. For 2014, I want to take that spirit and magnify it at least 2,000 times!
The goal is to inspire and move 1,000 people to sign up for SeaWheeze 2014 who are also willing to inspire, mentor and coach 1,000 other runners with the goal of running the race as partners.
By partnering together, the hope is to elevate and change 2,000 lives and accomplish goals as big as completing a half marathon for the first time or running a new personal record, while empowering each other to push beyond our perceived limits.
Since I shared that big goal, the number one question I have faced is: “Wow, that’s a lot of people. Is that too many? How are you going to do it?”
My answer: It is a lot of people. Too many, in fact, if I were doing this alone. But I’m not! On faith, I have leapt into the darkness toward success, and in the darkness there is a whole team of passionate people who are joining with me. So far, ambassadors from 12 other cities beyond Austin, from San Diego to Toronto and NYC, have joined me with a mission to recruit mentors in their home cities. In addition, the SeaWheeze team in Vancouver has committed to helping us spread the word while supporting a SeaWheeze mentorship program and curriculum along the way.
Today, I ask you to join this growing force of goal smashers and commit to being a mentor or to find a mentor to help you achieve a big goal. Running is only a solo sport if you let it be. Join us and let’s goal smash. Together.
What it will look like:
Mentorship partners will receive:
- Guidance on key training tips and talking points to share between a mentor and mentee from registration through to race day, from goal setting through to race execution.
- Access to the 14-week SeaWheeze Tacklebox training program to use as training guidance
- In select cities, love from local lululemon ambassadors to provide community connection and support leading up to the event
- Info from the SeaWheeze team on travel and trip planning to make race weekend a truly epic experience
January 23rd: Registration opens. Just register. Don’t wait!
May 19th: Tacklebox Training starts.
August 23rd: Race day
Next steps for those interested:
1. Find your partner. It can be a friend, family member, acquaintance, or someone you have never met. You just to be passionate about helping them achieve their goal. You aren’t expected to run every step with them in training, just to provide guidance along the way in preparation for the race you will run together!
2. Sign-up for the SeaWheeze Mentorship Program, so we can communicate with you, whether you are a mentor or want to be mentored. You can do that at this link.
3. Register for the race on January 23rd and make sure your partner does too. Don’t think about it. Just do it! The race will sell out quickly, so you don’t want to wait. We will provide you with the information you need to make race day happen including travel, training, event schedule, etc.
4. Get your run on while waiting for more info from us. Beginning after January 23rd, we will give you more info on next steps.